Skip to main content
Lawyer Look Up
Send in this form if you have concerns about a lawyer’s conduct. Your complaint might result in discipline to the lawyer. If you are seeking other remedies against the lawyer, you may need to seek legal advice from a lawyer in private practice. Also, the bar may require your further involvement in an investigation by asking you to be interviewed by a bar investigator and/or to participate at a hearing.
Please DO NOT send original documents to the Virginia State Bar. Preserve all original documents until your complaint has been resolved. In addition, please redact personally identifying information such as Social Security numbers, date of birth, driver’s license numbers, etc. All documents will be destroyed in keeping with the bar’s records and destruction policies.
Lawyer First Name
Lawyer Middle Name
Lawyer Last Name
Lawyer's Law Firm
Please Answer the following questions:
1. Have you or a member of your family contacted us about this lawyer before? (
If not, leave the checkbox below blank.)
Outcome of Previous Complaint
2. Have you filed a complaint or legal action about this matter anywhere else? (
If not, please leave the checkbox below blank.)
If yes, please state when you made the complaint and the outcome of that complaint.
Outcome of Complaint Filed Elsewhere
3. Describe your relationship to the lawyer who is the subject of your complaint by choosing from the following:
Relationship To Lawyer
I am the lawyer's client
I am the lawyer's former client
I am a friend or relative of the lawyer's client
I am an opposing party
I am an opposing lawyer
If Other, please explain:
Relationship To Lawyer Other
4. What is the nature of your legal case? When was the lawyer employed or appointed to represent you? How much money, if any, was the lawyer paid to represent you?
Nature Of Case
5. Is your concern only that you think the lawyer charged you too much? (
If yes, you should contact the VSB at (804) 775-9425 for information on fee dispute resolution, If no, please leave the checkbox below blank.)
If yes, you should contact the bar at (804) 775-9425 for information on fee dispute resolution.
6. Have you read the brochure describing the Virginia State Bar's attorney disciplinary process? (
If no, leave the checkbox below blank.)
Lawyer's Actions complained of:
Lawyer Actions Complained of
List the names, addresses, and phone numbers of persons who might be able to give additional information about your complaint:
Names Additional Information
Form Must Be Signed and Dated
By providing your name and date below you are signing the form.
Type the code from the image
For additional assistance, please call the Complaint Line during regular business hours, (804) 775-0570. Monday through Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Closed on state and federal holidays.