August 30, 2023
Volunteers Sought for VSB Disciplinary Board 2024
Three volunteer attorneys and one lay member are needed to serve on the Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Board beginning on July 1, 2024.
Prior VSB Disciplinary District Committee service is required.
What is the Disciplinary Board?
The 20-member Board, appointed by the Supreme Court of Virginia, is composed of 16 attorneys and 4 lay members. The Board hears the most serious cases of lawyer misconduct and issues written opinions following its hearings.
Appointed members may serve two consecutive three-year terms. An unexpired term appointment may serve two consecutive three-year terms after completing the unexpired term.
What is the application process?
The Disciplinary Board will initially review applications and refer them to the VSB Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee will then make recommendations to the VSB Executive Committee and Council for consideration at their February 2024 meetings. The Council will make a recommendation to the Supreme Court in March 2024.
- There will be three (3) lawyer and one (1) lay member vacancies on July 1, 2024.
- The application period runs from September 12 through November 14, 2023.
- Prior District Committee service is required.
- Attorney Applications:
- The applicant must submit (i) a current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) and (ii) a writing sample responding to a disciplinary system hypothetical fact pattern.
- Your resume/CV should highlight: (i) litigation experience; (ii) familiarity with Part 6, Section IV, Paragraph 13 of the Rules of Court; (iii) judicial or quasi-judicial experience; (iv) Familiarity with the Rules of Evidence; and (v) experience with the VSB Disciplinary System.
- The hypothetical for the writing sample Word document is available for download.
- Lay Member Applications: Applicants must submit a current resume or CV and a brief statement of interest.
- All applications should be addressed to Stephanie Grana, Chair, VSB Nominating Committee, Virginia State Bar, 1111 E. Main Street, Suite 700, Richmond, VA 23219 and emailed to [email protected].
- Additional information on the Disciplinary Board and the application process are available at the VSB website.
- Questions should be directed via email to [email protected].
Learn more about the Disciplinary Board and other volunteer opportunities at the VSB.
VSB seeks balance and diversity in committee membership, not only in race and gender, but in geography, the types of practice areas in which lawyers are engaged, and the settings in which lawyers practice (e.g., solos to corporate counsel, prosecutors to defense).